NOTE: this posting is now closed. Thank you for your interest!
At Democracy Works, we believe that voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we’ve built TurboVote, a service that tracks all your elections. We’ll send you all the materials and information you need to get registered, stay registered, and cast your ballot in every election, from municipal to national–and we’ll even mail you forms with an addressed, stamped envelope for your local election office.
In our quest to make voting easier, we’re also joining forces with the Pew Charitable Trusts and Google as the data and technology partner for the Voting Information Project (VIP), a collaboration to provide every voter with access to standardized information about where and how to vote–data that powers everything from Google’s polling place search to our own text message and email reminders to TurboVote users.
The Data Lead will be the VIP team’s stalwart front line as we acquire, parse, and assess a nation’s worth of election data.
As the data lead for VIP, you’ll:
- Manage an open government dataset that received 25 million hits in 2012
- Train state election offices in data standards and exports
- Build and maintain parsers, quality assurance checks, and data management scripts
- Collaborate with TurboVote’s developer team and Google engineers
- Build and manage a team of data fellows to hand-collect some of the trickiest elements in the lead up to Election Day
- Obsessively attentive to detail
- Creative, in the way that recognizes the artistry in a well-wrought Excel macro
- A fluent translator between jargon and vernacular
- Passionate about civic tech, open data, and government 2.0
- Happiest working with a team
- Interested in both the macro and micro views of any project
You have experience:
- Handling large, complex datasets using some combination of SQL and Ruby/Python (or similar)
- In an agile development environment
- In politics or government
- On highly collaborative teams (leadership experience especially nice-to-have)
- Providing customer support or hands-on services, or working with external partners
- Winning pub trivia (okay, this one’s just a nice-to-have)
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. Democracy Works also offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance and vacation. We’re based in Brooklyn, NY and Denver, CO, and we hope you’ll want to join our Brooklyn team—though we’ll consider remote arrangements for the perfect candidate.
To apply, send a resume and pithy introduction to Paul and Katy at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Will work for democracy.”
We are building an awesome, diverse team, so we strongly encourage applicants of all races, colors, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, handicaps and branches of military service. Feel free to contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about our commitment to diversity or about general hiring practices.