Title: Data Fellow, Voting Information Project
At Democracy Works, we believe that voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we’ve joined forces with The Pew Charitable Trusts as the data and technology contractor for the Voting Information Project (VIP), a collaboration between Pew and Google to provide every voter with access to standardized information about where and how to vote–data that powers everything from Google’s Voter Information Tool to our own text message and email reminders to TurboVote’s users.
As national mid-term elections approach, we’re recruiting a cohort of data fellows to join our team in the herculean task of collecting, parsing, and assuring the quality of a nation’s worth of election data by November. This is a full-time, paid position running 3-4 months (starting in August and September; ending the week of the election).
As a data fellow for VIP, you’ll:
- Support an open government dataset that received 25 million hits in 2012
- Collect, review, reformat, and generally wrangle the thorniest of elections data
- Apply (and maintain) parsers, quality assurance checkers, and data management scripts
- Obsessively attentive to detail
- Creative, in the way that recognizes the artistry of a well-wrought Excel macro
- Capable of staying focused in a high-energy environment
- Passionate about civic tech, open data, and government 2.0
You have experience:
- Handling large, complex datasets using some combination of Excel, SQL, and Ruby/Python (or similar)
- (Preferably) in politics or government
- Working on highly collaborative teams
This is a full-time, competitively-paid position running through the week of the election. We’re based in Brooklyn, NY and Denver, CO, and we’ll take on fellows at either office.
To apply, send a resume and pithy introduction to Paul and Noma at email@example.com with the subject “Will wrangle data for democracy.”
We are building an awesome, diverse team, so we strongly encourage applicants of all races, colors, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our commitment to diversity or about general hiring practices.