Democracy Works, which runs TurboVote is seeking an Office Manager.
We believe that if voting were more convenient, more people would vote; and if more people voted, we could reinvigorate local and primary elections, politicians would be held more accountable, our leadership would be more representative, and our democracy would work better (at least most of the time).
To that end, TurboVote is a web service that makes voting as easy as renting a Netflix DVD. We provide free email and text message reminders for all elections and mail (yes, snail mail!) completed voter registration forms and absentee ballot request forms, along with addressed, stamped envelopes.
We’re currently serving over 188,000 users and working with 58 colleges, several large not-for-profits, and a tech company you may have heard of before. You can learn more about us on ABC, Mashable, and the Chronicle of Higher Education.
As this is a startup, we’re used to moving quickly. You will make sure TurboVote’s internal operations remain nimble and efficient while we grow.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Streamlining internal processes
- Scheduling meetings
- Coordinating contract execution and fulfillment with our Partnerships department
- Organizing staff travel
- HR related tasks, including maintaining vacation and sick day policies and new hire onboarding
- Assisting with grant proposals
- Assisting with the preparation of board documents
- Maintaining our insurance paperwork
- Assisting executive staff with operations-related tasks
- Keeping the filing system in shape
- Super special projects
- Extremely organized (we can teach you how to manage HR and insurance documents)
- Great with words (can write warm and conversational emails without sounding too informal, can write with perfect grammar without sounding stuffy, can write an inspirational and well-researched paragraph about democratic participation that isn’t stiff or corny)
- Great with numbers
- A passion for getting details exactly right
You’ll fit in if:
- You want to get this done right now
- You want to get this done right
- You’re a not-so-secret idealist
- Why is your favorite question
- You enjoy pub trivia
Nice to have:
- Experience with QuickBooks
- Experience with data visualization
- Experience with nonprofit accounting
- Experience with writing grant applications and annual reports
This full-time position is be based out of our Brooklyn headquarters. Candidates should send a resume and write a pithy email about themselves to Seth and Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should have the subject line: “Will work for democracy.”
Democracy Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage qualified diverse candidates to apply. Democracy Works does not discriminate against any candidate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, national origin, age or any other protected category.