Democracy Works is seeking a developer to help build turbovote.org.
We believe that if voting were more convenient, more people would vote; and if more people voted, we could reinvigorate local and primary elections, politicians would be held more accountable, our leadership would be more representative, and our democracy would work better (at least most of the time).
To that end, TurboVote is a web service that makes voting as simple as Netflix. We provide free email and text message reminders for all elections and mail (yes, snail mail!) completed voter registration forms and absentee ballot request forms, along with addressed, stamped envelopes. Through partnerships with the Knight Foundation, Voto Latino, and the League of Young Voters, we expect to help a million voters in the 2012 election cycle – and we need help making the leap to scale as smooth as possible.
As this is a startup, you’ll get to wear a lot of hats. You’ll work up and down the stack, including:
• Using APIs to integrate with voter, mailing and geographic data sources
• Building tools to support crowdsourcing of election deadlines and other requirements
• Implementing continuous integration and other QA and testing tools
• Reviewing user tests and helping think critically about UI/UX
• Helping design new features and architecture to make voting simpler
You’ll fit in if:
• You like breaking things
• Why is your favorite question
• You enjoy pub trivia (especially if you can help us best our 3rd-place record finish)
• You have strong opinions (ex. puns: Katy’s anti, Paul’s pro)
• You’re not-so-secretly an idealist
• Proficiency in Ruby on Rails, Django or similar web application framework
• A passion for getting details exactly right
Nice to have:
• Experience with GIS
• Experience with a campaign or political organization
• Database design/administration experience (especially MySQL)
• Experience with Git, Capistrano, and/or Chef
This full-time position can be based out of our Brooklyn headquarters OR with our Denver satellite ‘office’. Candidates should email a resume to Kathryn Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should have the subject line: “Will code for democracy.”