At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.
TurboVote, our first service, tracks an individual voter’s elections. We provide all the materials and information they need to get registered, stay registered, and cast a ballot in every election, from municipal to national—and we’ll even mail forms with an addressed, stamped envelope for the local election office. Ballot Scout helps local election administrators track absentee ballots as they travel through the mail, providing transparency in the vote-by-mail process and making it easier to follow up when things go awry. We also work with the Pew Charitable Trusts and Google to ensure that the Voting Information Project’s data is up-to-date and ready from one election to the next.
The Democracy Works partnerships team recruits schools, organizations, and local governments to promote voter engagement to their students and members and provides support to these partners as they use our technology. We work with hundreds of colleges and universities and more than a dozen nonprofit organizations to provide TurboVote to their constituents.
In 2016, our goals in higher education are: 1) to invest in our existing partners (i.e., colleges, universities, and higher ed consortiums) by helping them build more comprehensive programs for voter engagement and; 2) to bring on new partners in a way that sets them up for substantial success in using TurboVote. In order to accomplish these goals, we’re looking for a multitalented organizer and deal-closer to join our team.
Where you will fit in: As the campus outreach lead, you will be responsible for renewing contracts with existing partners and bringing on new partners by generating leads, carrying those leads through the nonprofit equivalent of a “sales cycle,” and closing deals. In this role, you will build relationships with key stakeholders and assess what partnership structure is most likely to lead to success with each institution. You’ll become an expert in the world of higher education and cultivate a passion for promoting civic engagement. Also, you will have the persistence to navigate red tape and work with bureaucratic organizations.
Your job will include:
- Generating new leads
- Identifying and creating opportunities for program growth
- Attending relevant conferences and meetings; identifying speaking opportunities; and promoting the TurboVote program at those events
- Enthusiastically promoting our mission
- Diligently collecting and entering data into a constituent management system (a database) so that relationships can be tracked and actively managed
- Driven, with a deep sense of purpose
- A master of persuasion
- Diligent in your follow-up and in chasing an opportunity over time and space
- Happiest in a fast-paced work environment
- An excellent oral and written communicator
- Self-confident, bold and energetic
- Someone who relishes a challenge and is not afraid of “no”
- Experience making cold calls, tracking down decisionmakers, and researching leads
- A proven track record of meeting or exceeding individual goals
- Familiarity with higher education, government, large corporations, or another cautious, deliberate work culture
- Experience in nonprofit sales, business development, or junior account management roles (preferred, but not necessary)
Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience. Democracy Works also offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance and vacation. Our headquarters is in Brooklyn, NY and strongly prefer that you work from that office–though we’ll consider remote arrangements for the perfect candidate.
We are inspired by the idea of building an awesome and truly diverse team, so we strongly encourage applicants of all races, colors, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service. Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions about our commitment to diversity or about general hiring practices.